I've been thinking a lot about where I want to go with my illustrations and painting, about what I should be working on... and about my life in general. The photograph above was taken as part of the August Break handwriting prompt and I wanted to use a quote that was a good reminder to stay on track and keep working. Since the conclusion of my July daily painting challenge I've continued to work hard, but it's been less focused. Last month was easy: just paint, every day, over and over. But there are other things I want to be working on and learning and right now I feel a bit too scattered and all over the place. I miss the consistency of July, but I'm not going to learn anything new if I don't take the time to do other things. So I need to keep plugging away.
Here are a few other things I have been doing this month:
- Lots of reading and listening to podcasts and audio books. Almost to the point where my head feels full, but there is so much to learn and take in. I'll share a few of my current favorites later this week.
- My daily black & white drawings. I usually do these late at night, and it's a great way to wind down at the end of the day. Two pages from my Moleskine sketchbook are in the photograph above.
- Learning how to make repeat patterns. Right now I'm working my way through this skillshare class. I'm also using this photoshop tutorial from Art Licensing Info, which came highly recommended. I wish I was making faster progress (which is largely contributing to the feeling of not getting anything done!), but progress, even if slow, is still progress.
- Sharing photographs on instagram as part of the August Break. I haven't followed every prompt (I very intentionally avoided the selfie day!), but it's been a fun way to get back to photography and share some photographs that I probably wouldn't normally share.
- Spending time with friends and family. Nothing is more important than this!
- Enjoying summer. It's hard to believe it's August and it's almost time to start pulling out my sweaters and boots again. Good thing I like fall! Winter? Not so much. I'm grateful to still have some summer days ahead of me.